James Silk is Chairman of the firm’s litigation group. His practice includes trials and appeals of civil matters in state and federal courts with an emphasis on commercial litigation. Additionally, Mr. Silk has focused his practice on insurance defense matters, primarily involving the construction industry. Mr. Silk has also served as local counsel in several matters, including class actions. Mr. Silk has represented clients in several cases involving unfair competition and trade secrets. Prior to joining the firm in 1995, Mr. Silk served as a law clerk to the Honorable James G. Carr, Northern District of Ohio, Western Division.
• Daughenbaugh v. City of Tiffin 150 F.3d 594 (6th Cir. 1998) (summary judgment granted based on defense of qualified immunity upheld).
• Jastremski v. Safeco Insurance Co. 243 F.Supp. 743 (N.D. Ohio 2003) (served as local counsel in matter involving claim of violation of the Fair Labor Standard Act).
• Daimler-Chrysler v. General Motors Corporation 133 F.Supp. 2d 1041 (N.D. Ohio 2001) (served as local counsel in trademark and unfair competition matter).
• Buckeye Retirement Co. v. Brat Automotive 2006 Ohio 4078 (9th Dist. Ct.App.) (successfully represented franchisor in contract dispute).
• Coop v. Brown 2003 Ohio 6840 (6th Dist. Ct. App.) (successfully represented insurance company in coverage dispute).
Ohio State Bar Association
Toledo Bar Association
900 Adams Street
Toledo, OH, 43604
Duke University (A.B. 1990, cum laude)
University of Michigan Law School (J.D. 1993)
All Ohio Courts
U.S. District Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court, Eastern District Michigan
U.S. District Court, Western District Michigan